Conducting Your Funding Search
If you are a prospective or current undergraduate student at the University of Iowa, start your search with the University of Iowa Scholarship Portal . The portal has hundreds of scholarship opportunities available, including general scholarships (open to all students) and departmental scholarships (restricted to students within a specific major or field of study). Scholarships may be recommended to you at different times throughout the year as applications become available, so I suggest visiting the Iowa Scholarship Portal often.
Take a look at our starter search guide below for direction on where to find more information on funding opportunities across Iowa's campus, as well as national resources for both undergraduate and graduate fellowships. To view the list of fellowship opportunities managed by UI Undergraduate Fellowships, click here.
University of Iowa Resources for Undergraduate Funding & Support
The University of Iowa's Scholarship Portal is a resource which allows prospective, admitted, and current students to search our database of available scholarships.
After completing the required general scholarship profile, you may be presented with “Recommended” opportunities for which you MAY be eligible. Recommended opportunities are typically going to be a combination of general scholarships (open to all students) and departmental/collegiate awards (restricted to students within a specific major, field of study or who belong to distinct academic communities on campus).
While many of the opportunities listed in the portal only ask prospective applicants to complete a general scholarship profile to be matched with and considered for an award, others require that students complete supplemental application PLEASE NOTE: Students are expected to read the criteria and instructions for each award thoroughly before submitting any supplemental application materials through the ISP.
- University of Iowa Undergraduate Fellowships - Kelly Thornburg
- UI International Programs Student Grants & Fellowships - Karen Wachsmuth, Associate Director for International Fellowships leads recruitment and support for the Fulbright, Boren, DAAD, Critical Language Scholarships, and more.
- Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates - ICRU promotes undergraduate involvement in mentored research and creative projects at the University of Iowa
- International Student Funding - External grants open to, or intended for, non-U.S. citizens
- University of Iowa Student Financial Aid Office
- University of Iowa Study Abroad
- UI Office of the VP for Research and Economic Development - Undergraduate research funding and experiences -
- Division of Sponsored Programs - The Division of Sponsored Programs, 100 Gilmore Hall, provides access to a variety of funding databases. While the majority of the available information is for faculty, staff, and graduate students, there may be some material that would be useful for undergraduate students as well. Students can connect to these databases through any UI-connected computer.
Trusted Search Engine Resources for Fellowship Applicants
- National Association of Fellowship Advisors
- Nationally Coveted College Scholarships, Graduate Fellowships, and Postdoctoral Awards
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- UChicagoGRAD Fellowship Database
Many scholarships and fellowships require US citizenship or residency. Below are lists of resources available for undocumented or international students interested in pursuing scholarships or national fellowships while attending the University of Iowa as an undergraduate or graduate student.
Resources for Undocumented Students
- Educators for Fair Consideration
- Dream Education Empowerment Program
- 10 Scholarship Resources open for Undocumented Students
- DOE Guide for Undocumented Students
Resources for International Students
Scholarships for International Students • National Association of Fellowship Advisors (NAFA) scholarships_for_international_students_2012 - Cutchins.pdf