The University of Iowa depends on robust and creative research efforts, and honors students are able to receive honors credit for participating. There are many opportunities for honors students to get involved in research and creative activities at the University of Iowa, and not just in the sciences! Research happens in every department and major on campus. Research can be done with UIowa faculty members (known as mentored research) or as your own project as a part of earning honors in your major.
Students may earn honors credit for research whether it is paid or unpaid, registered for credit or not. See the various ways to earn honors credit for your research below.
The Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates (ICRU) anchors these efforts by promoting and supporting research by undergraduates throughout campus. ICRU serves all students with interests and talents in research. The ICRU office is located at 6 Gilmore Hall and provides advising on how to get involved, training and development opportunities, and funding. Contact them at email@example.com or visit uiowa.edu/ircu.
Earn Honors Credit for Research
The following research opportunities appear automatically on your honors degree audit:
- HONR:3994 Honors Research Practicum (1-3 credits per semester)
- Undergraduate Research Experiences: URES:3992, URES:3993, URES:3994 (0-4 credits per semester)
- URES:3995 ICRU Research Fellow (variable credit per semester; applications due in March)
- BIOC:3993 or BIOC:4999 Undergraduate Research in Biochemistry
- BIOL:3994 or BIOL:4999 Undergraduate Research in Biology
- PSY:3994, PSY:3995, PSY:4990 Undergraduate Research in Psychology
The following research opportunities will be added to your honors degree audit after the 10th day of the semester in which you are registered*:
- BIOL:4995/PSY:4995 Honors Research in Neuroscience***
- BUS:3600 Tippie RISE Undergraduate Mentored Research
- CHEM:3994 Undergraduate Research in Chemistry
- COMM:2897 Undergraduate Research or Creative Work in Communication Studies**
- CPH:3999 or CPH:4990 Undergraduate Research in Public Health
- CSD:3993 Undergraduate Research in Communication Sciences & Disorders
- GEOG:3992 Undergraduate Research in Geographical and Sustainability Sciences
- HHP:4500, HHP:4800 or HHP:4900 Undergraduate Research in Health and Human Physiology
- IBA:3992 Research registration for students in the Iowa Biosciences Academy
- MICR:4161 or MICR:4171** Undergraduate Research in Microbiology and Immunology
- PCOL:4199 Undergraduate Research in Pharmacology
- PHAR:3994 Undergraduate Research in the College of Pharmacy
- PHYS:4999 Undergraduate Research in Physics and Astronomy
- SOC:4800 or SOC:4998 Undergraduate Research in Sociology
*Effective Fall 2018 unless otherwise noted. If you have registered past mentored research with a course code above that is not currently reflected on your honors degree audit, please submit the honors research experience verification form, linked below.
**Effective Spring 2019. If you have registered past mentored research with a course code above that is not currently reflected on your honors degree audit, please submit the honors research experience verification form, linked below.
***Effective Summer 2019. If you have registered past mentored research with a course code above that is not currently reflected on your honors degree audit, please submit the honors research experience verification form, linked below.
Are you participating in research but don't see an option to get honors credit for it above? Fill out the Research Experience Verification Form!