Applications for Spring semester will be open October 4th - December 11th.
Applications for Fall semester open on the first business day of March and close on the first business day of May.
- Meet with an honors Peer Mentor. Students who do not meet with a Peer Mentor prior to applying will be automatically denied.
- Complete at least one fulltime semester at the University of Iowa to be considered for admission next semester to Honors.
- Remember that in order to graduate with University Honors, in addition to completing the curriculum, you will need a 3.33 UI cumulative GPA or greater at graduation.
**Students who were previously in the honors program should consider the appeal process detailed below.
Application will open October 4th, 2023, and close December 11th, 2023. The spring semester timing is March and May respectively.
This is what you can expect to find in the application:
- In 300-500 words, please list 3 activities or commitments that are meaningful to you. Tell us what you learned about yourself while engaged in the activity/commitment.
- These activities can be from high school or college. They can be a job you held, a student organization, research group, and more.
- Please list three to five courses you would plan to take in order to fulfill the 12 s.h. honors coursework requirements.
- You can review the coursework page of our website.
- Please describe how you plan to complete the required 12 credits in experiential learning prior to graduating.
- You can review the experiential learning page of our website.
Students are not required to complete the Honors Program curriculum exactly as they have laid out in their answers. However, we do want to see that students have seriously considered the program requirements and understand how they might work towards program completion. Honors Peer Mentors Can help you understand your options for coursework and experiential learning requirements.
Past University Honors students are eligible to appeal (rather than apply) if they have previously completed one honors course at the University of Iowa.
The appeal process is always open during the fall and spring semesters.
To appeal you will need to meet with an Honors professional staff member and construct a detailed plan for completing your 12 coursework and 12 experiential learning credits required to graduate with University Honors.
Before your meeting
1. Review a “what if” University Honors degree audit in MyUI.
2. Review the Honors curricular requirements and opportunities for options that interest you.
3. Come prepared to discuss a specific plan to complete your honors requirements.
4. Appeals will be reviewed for approval within two weeks of submission.