Applying for Honors Travel Grants for Experiential Learning
Honors at Iowa is occasionally able to offer financial support to undergraduates who:
- are members of the Honors Program
- intend to travel for an experiential learning event, (e.g. professional conferences, study abroad experiences, internships, research trips/training endeavors, etc.).
*The amount of each award varies according to circumstance and need, but recent awards have ranged from $500 to $1000.
- Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis
- Applications must be submitted at least a month in advance of the event
- Notification of applicants will take place on an ongoing basis, (usually within two weeks of application submission).
Please note: Students will only be awarded an Honors Travel Grant once during their undergraduate career. The following requirements must be met in order to to be considered for funding:
- conference presentations - Must be co/presenting a poster/oral paper, be named on a presentation by a mentor, or contributing to the event.
- research - Must be traveling outside of the local area to access special resources or connect with subjects.
- study abroad programs - Must be participating in a program supported/endorsed by UI Office of Study Abroad.
- internships - Must be traveling outside of the local area to participate in a internship experience.
To complete the form, you will need to know:
- Event, program, internship, travel information, including location and dates
- A copy of the abstract, poster, application, notice of application to or acceptance from the program, etc.
- An estimated travel budget (airfare/gas, lodging, registration, food, etc.)
Finding additional funding
We encourage students to explore other options for travel funding, which may include, but are not limited to the following resources:
- Your home department(s). Ideally, Honors travel grants will be maximized by matching funds from other department and organizations on campus.
- Stanley Undergraduate Award for Undergraduate Research
- Dewey Stuit Fund for Undergraduate Research
- John and Elsie Mae Ferentz Undergraduate Research Grants
If you have questions about Honors Travel Grants, the application process, or have difficulty accessing our online application form, please email email@example.com.