Thank you for your interest in the University of Iowa's Presidential Scholarship. Our 2017 competition is now closed. We expect to open the 2018 Presidential Scholarship competition in mid-September, 2017. To ensure fairness, details about the 2018 application content and essay questions will NOT be available to students PRIOR to the launch of the application in early fall, but prospective applicants can expect an application and selection timeline similar to 2017.
ATTENTION: This scholarship is only open to newly admitted students who will begin their undergraduate studies in Fall 2017.
To apply for the Presidential Scholarship, individuals must meet the following requirements:
- be admitted to the University of Iowa;
- have earned at least a 3.85 high school grade-point average (weighted and unweighted scores are accepted);
- and achieved an ACT composite score of 32 or an equivalent SAT score. For more information on equivalency, visit UI Admissions
Each year selectors representing the University of Iowa’s five undergraduate colleges and a broad spectrum of academic disciplines come together to review hundreds of applications, looking for evidence of extraordinary intellectual curiosity, exceptional academic ability, and authentic connection to community in the words and experiences applicants share.
Through this intensive process we choose up to twenty of the most promising scholars to receive the highest levels of funding, recognition, and support offered to undergraduates at the University of Iowa. The scholarship provides up to $20,000* for tuition and fees in the first year and is renewable for an additional three years or until scholars receive their bachelor’s degree (whichever comes first). Once they join us on campus, Presidential Scholars must maintain continuous full-time enrollment as well as membership in the University of Iowa Honors Program.
*The total amount of each Presidential Scholarship is determined by the scholar’s residency status.
- Iowa residents: Up to $74,000 (up to $18,500 a year up to four years)
- Nonresidents: Up to $80,000 (up to $20,000 a year up to four years)
- International Students: $40,000 ($10,000 a year up to four years)
In addition to the scholarship, each student has access to a spectrum of valuable experiences designed to foster extraordinary intellectual, professional, and personal growth, including:
- membership in the University of Iowa Honors Program*;
- participation in the Presidential Scholars Program and seminar course with Honors Director, Dr. Art L. Spisak;
- access to first-year funding and guidance from the Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates;
- support for university, local, and global social and service experiences;
- engagement with visiting scholars, distinguished faculty, and campus leaders; and
- advising on national and international scholarship, fellowship, and grant competitions.
To access a printable version of the information included on this page, click on the document title below:
To download a printable sample application, click on the document title below:
To check out our Frequently Asked Questions page, click here.
- Application opens: September 15, 2016
- Deadline for application submission: Monday, November 28, 2016 at 11:59 PM
- Scholarship offers are extended by: March 1, 2017
- Deadline for accepting admission and the scholarship: May 1, 2017
A printable version of the 2017 Presidential Scholarship schedule of important dates is available here.
Thank you for your interest in the Presidential Scholarship and the University of Iowa. We look forward to your applications! For more information about the University of Iowa’s Presidential Scholarship, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org