Professor Spisak has his PhD in Classical Studies from Loyola University of Chicago. He has directed the University of Iowa Honors Program since the Fall of 2011, and he is also a professor in the Department of Classics. He has been teaching in honors since 1997 and has been working in honors at the administrative level since 2006. He is very active in honors education at the national and international levels as a member of the National Collegiate Honors Council (NCHC). He is also an approved and active NCHC honors program reviewer.
Professor Spisak comes from a family of educators. Not surprisingly, given his family heritage, he views teaching and his work in education -- and especially honors education -- as his means for contributing meaningfully and for improving conditions. In other words, he very much appreciates what his position allows him to do.
Loyola University, Chicago: Ph.D. in Classics
Involvement with Honors:
- National Collegiate Honors Council President Elect and Executive Committee member: 2016
- National Collegiate Honors Council Board of Directors: 2011 - Present
- National Collegiate Honors Council Task Force to Define Honors Education: 2012 - 2013
- National Collegiate Honors Council Assessment and Evaluation Committee: 2011 - Present; co-chair 2013-2014
- Director of the Honors College at Missouri State University: 2006 - 2011
- Rich and Doris Young Missouri State Honors College Professorship: 2007 - 2011