Application Deadlines: For Fall 2021 admission, students who apply by January 10, 2021 will hear about admission to the program by February 1, 2021. Students who apply after January 10, 2021 and by March 1, 2021 will hear about admission to the program by late-March. Please note, we highly encourage students to apply by the March 1st, however, applications will be accepted up until May 1st. Keep in mind, if you apply after March 1st to the program, you must contact Susan Dickinson at: email@example.com so the application can be added to your Admissions Profile. It is also important to note the Honors Program does not guarantee a spot in the program.
- Application Process: Students must be admitted to the University of Iowa prior to submitting an application for the honors program, but they do not need to commit to attending the university prior to applying for honors. We recommend applying for admission to the university no later than November 1 if you plan to meet the November 15 honors application deadline, and no later than December 26 if you plan to meet the January 10 honors application deadline. Please note, we highly encourage students to apply by the January 10th date, however, applications will be accepted up until May 1st. Keep in mind, if you apply after January 10th to the program, you must contact Susan Dickinson at: firstname.lastname@example.org so the application can be added to your Admissions Profile. It is also important to note the Honors Program does not guarantee a spot in the program.
- Students will apply for the Honors Program through their Admissions Profile in MyUI beginning in September or within a week after being admitted to the university, whichever comes last. If you do not see the application in your Admissions Profile within those parameters, contact email@example.com to have the application added to your profile.
- Housing: All housing inquiries must be directed to the Housing Team via phone 319-335-3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can apply for housing opportunities on their website https://housing.uiowa.edu/living-campus/apply and learn more about Honors Housing at https://honors.uiowa.edu/joining-program/housing
Characteristics of a Successful Application
There are not formal minimum requirements for entry into the honors program, nor are there guarantees of admission given a specific high school GPA or standardized test score. However, applicants might consider the following characteristics when choosing to apply:
- A successful applicant typically will have earned mostly "A"s in core courses and will have chosen a challenging and/or meaningful course of study as allowed by their high school's curriculum.
- Most enrolled first-year honors students (Fall 2019) ranked in the top 4% of their high school graduating class.
- The middle 50% of enrolled first-year honors students (Fall 2019) recorded their highest ACT composite (or SAT equivalent) between 30-33.
- Students' responses to the essay prompt and activities lists will play an important role in the selection of future honors students.
Be sure to use our Tips and Tricks page as you complete your application!
Admitted to Honors? Here Are Your Next Steps:
You must meet honors membership and curricular requirements in order to remain a member of the University Honors Program.
Staying in the Program
If your UI cumulative grade point average falls below 3.33, you have one semester to rectify the situation. In other words, if your UI cumulative GPA is lower than 3.33 for two consecutive spring and fall semesters, you will be removed from the program.
Students who leave the program due to missing coursework or a GPA below the minimum can reapply to the program, but should be prepared to demonstrate readiness to maintain the curricular and GPA requirements.
Your membership does not guarantee you will graduate with University Honors.