It may take up to 12 hours to receive the form by email.
This form is due by the fifth day of class each semester.
Engage in your field of study through service. HONR:3150 Honors Service Learning is an independent study course that allows honors students to earn honors credit for service to the community. This is done by adding an academic component to a volunteering experience that requires critical interaction with course material. Service Learning experiences may include planning and hosting a volunteer event, analyzing the statistical success of the organization, designing and leading a fundraising initiative, and more. Honors students collaborate with an Iowa faculty member to design service learning material, schedule assignments, and structure grading criteria.
- Meet with your instructor and negotiate the terms of your independent study.
- Fill out the web form below and click submit.
- Your form will be emailed to you. Print this email, sign it, and have your instructor sign it.
- Register for HONR:3150 by selecting your instructor's name from the drop-down list in MyUI.
- Turn your signed form in to 420 Blank Honors Center by the deadline above. You may consider your submission accepted unless we contact you.
- Grading: A-F (honors credit will not be awarded if a non-passing grade is received)
- Your instructor certifies satisfactory completion of your plan of study by submitting a grade for your work.
- If your instructor's name does not appear in the instructor list, email email@example.com with their name and department to have them added to the list.
- Registered students are expected to commit three hours per week to the experience for each credit hour earned.
- The subject matter may not significantly duplicate other courses on campus.
- If you have not received permission from the instructor to add this section, your enrollment may be administratively dropped.
Contact the Honors Experiential Learning Director Andrew-Willard@uiowa.edu with questions.