Membership to the University Honors Program is by invitation only. To be invited, you must meet the following eligibility requirements. Entering first-year students who do not meet these requirements may request an invitation.
University Honors Program Benefits
- Honors-only classes featuring an enriched classroom environment and hands-on experience.
- Honors-only residence halls and living-learning communities.
- Exclusive updates about honors events, opportunities, scholarships, and resources.
- Access to honors professional staff and peer advisors.
- The ability to graduate with University Honors!
- High school g.p.a. of 3.8 or higher and ACT composite of 30+
First-years can accept their invitation through their admissions profile and must do so by May 15th.
- 3.5 or higher overall college g.p.a.
Transfer status is considered when a student has at least 24 s.h. of college coursework. Transfer students can accept their invitation in MyUI, and we recommend scheduling an advising appointment with the Honors Advising Director, Holly-Yoder@uiowa.edu.
- 3.5 or higher University of Iowa g.p.a.
Transfer coursework is not considered for current Iowa students. Current students can accept their invitation through MyUI, and we recommend scheduling an appointment with an Honors Peer Advisor.
Not sure if you'll qualify? Use the g.p.a. calculator to predict your eligibility.
Staying in the Program
Being a member of the University Honors Program means you're able to take advantage of resources and opportunities not available to all students at the University of Iowa. Honors students can choose to live in honors housing, attend honors-only events, participate in honors programming, enroll in honors classes, have access to the Honors Student Center in the BHC, and much more.
You must maintain a UI cumulative g.p.a. of 3.33 or higher in order to remain a member of the University Honors Program.
If your UI cumulative g.p.a. falls below 3.33, you have one semester to rectify the situation. In other words, if your UI cumulative g.p.a. is lower than 3.33 for two consecutive spring and fall semesters, you will be removed from the program. You can rejoin if your UI g.p.a. reaches 3.5 or higher.
Your membership does not guarantee you will graduate with University Honors.