Students who enroll at the University of Iowa will have the opportunity to apply to join the Honors Program via our "UI Current Student Application." This application opened on October 1, 2021 and will close December 1, 2021. We encourage you to interact with the Honors Program once you arrive on campus before applying. For more information on the current student application process please view this page: https://honors.uiowa.edu/currentiowastudent
- Application Dates for Fall 2022:
- Priority Application Date: 11:59 pm on November 15th, 2021. Students who apply by the priority date will be notified of their admission in mid-January.
- Final Application Date: 11:59 pm on January 10th, 2022. Students who apply by the final application date will be notified of their admission in mid-February.
- Late Applicants: Honors at Iowa may consider late applications after the January 10th final application date. Please contact your admissions counselor for more information.
- Application Process: Students must be admitted to the University of Iowa prior to submitting an application for the Honors Program, but they do not need to commit to attending the university prior to applying for honors.
- Students will apply for the Honors Program through their Admissions Profile in MyUI beginning in September. If you do not see the application in your Admissions Profile within those parameters, contact your admissions counselor to have the application added to your profile.
- Housing: All housing inquiries must be directed to the Housing Team via phone 319-335-3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can apply for housing opportunities on their website https://housing.uiowa.edu/living-campus/apply and learn more about Honors Housing at https://honors.uiowa.edu/joining-program/housing
Characteristics of a Successful Application
There are not formal minimum requirements for entry into the honors program, nor are there guarantees of admission given a specific high school GPA. Fall 2021 applications will not consider the ACT or SAT in entry into the honors program. Applicants might consider the following characteristics when choosing to apply:
- A successful applicant typically will have earned mostly "A"s in core courses and will have chosen a challenging and/or meaningful course of study as allowed by their high school's curriculum.
- Most enrolled first-year honors students (Fall 2019) ranked in the top 4% of their high school graduating class.
- Students' responses to the essay prompt and activities lists will play an important role in the selection of future honors students.
Check out our Tips and Tricks page as you complete your application! It may help you as you plan ahead.
Admitted to Honors? Here Are Your Next Steps:
You must meet honors membership and curricular requirements in order to remain a member of the University Honors Program.
Staying in the Program
If your UI cumulative grade point average falls below 3.33, you have one semester to rectify the situation. In other words, if your UI cumulative GPA is lower than 3.33 for two consecutive spring and fall semesters, you will be removed from the program.
Students who leave the program due to missing coursework or a GPA below the minimum can reapply to the program, but should be prepared to demonstrate readiness to maintain the curricular and GPA requirements.
Your membership does not guarantee you will graduate with University Honors.