We strongly advise students review our Tips and Tricks page before submitting their application for Honors.
- Applications for Fall of 2022 cohort are now closed
- For Fall of 2023 the deadline will be in early January.
- Application Process: Students must be admitted to the University of Iowa prior to submitting an application for the Honors Program, but they do not need to commit to attending the university prior to applying for honors.
- Students will apply for the Honors Program through their Admissions Profile in MyUI beginning in September.
- If you do not see the application in your Admissions Profile within those parameters, contact your admissions counselor to have the application added to your profile.
- Housing: All housing inquiries must be directed to the Housing Team via phone 319-335-3000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. You can apply for housing opportunities on their website https://housing.uiowa.edu/living-campus/apply and learn more about Honors Housing at https://honors.uiowa.edu/joining-program/housing
Characteristics of a Successful Application
Check out our Tips and Tricks page as you complete your application! It may help you as you plan ahead.
There are not formal minimum requirements for entry into the honors program, nor are there guarantees of admission given a specific high school GPA. Fall 2021 applications will not consider the ACT or SAT in entry into the honors program. Applicants might consider the following characteristics when choosing to apply:
- Students' responses to the essay prompt and activities lists play a vital role in the selection of future honors students.
- Successful responses answer the prompt and answer the Why's not just the What's.
- A successful applicant typically will have earned mostly "A"s in core courses and will have chosen a challenging and/or meaningful course of study as allowed by their high school's curriculum.
- Most enrolled first-year honors students (Fall 2019) ranked in the top 4% of their high school graduating class.
Admitted to Honors? Here Are Your Next Steps:
You must meet honors membership and curricular requirements in order to remain a member of the University Honors Program.
Staying in the Program
Honors students must take an honors class during their first semester in the program. For most first-years, their honors first-year seminar will fulfill that requirement. Students must have a total of 12 s.h. credit from honors classes (or 6 s.h. in the case of engineering majors) by the end of their fourth semester in the program. Honors students must have a UI cumulative GPA of 3.33 or above at graduation to be considered for graduation with University Honors.
Students who leave the program due to missing coursework can reapply to the program, but should be prepared to demonstrate readiness to complete the curricular and GPA requirements.
Your membership does not guarantee you will graduate with University Honors.