Working on an application?
Join UI Undergraduate Fellowships Fall Peer Review Workshop
on Fridays from 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM in Room 440 of the Blank Honors Center
What? This fall, UI Undergraduate Fellowships is offering students the chance to give and receive feedback from fellow applicants representing a diverse range of academic disciplines. Kelly Thornburg, Honors Director of Scholar Development will contribute to the review process as both a reader and faciliator.
When? Fridays from 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM – Beginning September 16 and ending on October 28, 2016
Where? Room 440 in the Blank Honors Center (unless otherwise posted)
Who? Undergraduates who are currently developing essays for campus nomination applications, national fellowships, graduate school, or other applications for scholarships or experiential learning opportunities.
Why should you make time in your schedules for peer review?
- The workshop meets weekly for a series of weeks to create both accountability and structure. If you are working on drafts, it is easier to make progress if you know your fellow reviewers are expecting to see some new content from you each week. We meet on Fridays so you can head into your weekend and your next writing session with fresh perspective and useful ideas.
- Helping others tell a clear, authentic story will help you do the same. Everyone asks me what review committees want from applicants. Peer review invites each applicant to shift into the role of reviewer for a little while each week. By carefully reading and considering other's writing, you will develop a better sense of what works and doesn't work in personal essays.
- Students who commit both time and energy into this process are successful. Skeptical? Check out the testimony from past participants here.
How do I share my drafts if I want to participate?
- Want to join us? Excellent. Complete and submit this form to let me know of your interest.
- The next step is to share your weekly draft with me by email at firstname.lastname@example.org by 1:00 PM this Friday (and/or every Friday you will be participating). I will print and collate copies for the group. Please choose your draft content wisely and keep the essay or section you submit for review to 500 words or less. This constraint allows us to workshop more content each week.
Kelly Thornburg | 431 BHC | 319-335-1874 | email@example.com | honors.uiowa.edu/uihpfellowships
Request an appointment at https://uihpfellowships.youcanbook.me/