Applying for the Honors Experiential Learning Grant
Honors at Iowa is occasionally able to offer financial support to undergraduates who:
- are members of the Honors Program
- intend to travel for/participate in an experiential learning event, (e.g. professional conferences, study abroad experiences, internships, research trips/training endeavors, etc.).
*The amount of each award varies according to circumstance and need, but averages $500.
- Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis
- Applications must be submitted at least a month in advance of the event
- Notification of applicants will take place on an ongoing basis, (usually within two weeks of application submission).
Please note: Students will only be awarded an Honors Experiential Learning Grant once during their undergraduate career. The following requirements must be met in order to to be considered for funding:
- Conference presentations - Must be co/presenting a poster/oral paper, be named on a presentation by a mentor, or contributing to the event.
- Research - Must be traveling outside of the local area to access special resources or connect with subjects.
- Study abroad programs - Must be participating in a program supported/endorsed by UI Office of Study Abroad.
- Internships - Must register the internship experience for Honors Experiential Learning
To complete the form, you will need to know:
- Event, program, internship, travel information, including location and dates
- A copy of the abstract, poster, application, notice of application to or acceptance from the program, etc.
- An estimated travel budget/expenses (airfare/gas, lodging, registration, food, etc.)
You can find the application HERE
Finding Additional Funding
We encourage students to explore other options for travel funding, which may include, but are not limited to the following resources:
- Your home department(s). Ideally, Honors travel grants will be maximized by matching funds from other department and organizations on campus.
- Stanley Undergraduate Award for Undergraduate Research
- Dewey Stuit Fund for Undergraduate Research
- John and Elsie Mae Ferentz Undergraduate Research Grants
If you have questions about the Honors Experiential Learning Grant, the application process, or have difficulty accessing our online application form, please email email@example.com.