Honors in the major is awarded at graduation to students who show significant understanding of and provide valuable contributions to their field of study. Each major identifies the requirements to graduate with Honors and appoints an Honors Advisor from the department to guide students through the process.
Steps for Students
Contact your Honors Advisor early to earn Honors in your major at graduation!
- Meet specific requirements set by your major. Contact your Honors Advisor to learn what those are.
- Apply to graduate through MyUI during your last semester at Iowa.
- Apply for Honors in your major.
- Submit your honors thesis/project if applicable.
Note: You do not have to be a member of the University Honors Program in order to complete Honors in your major and not all majors require a thesis/project. Contact your Honors Advisor with questions.
Apply for Honors in...
Students in CLAS and Education must apply for Honors in their major by the degree application deadline. Students in Engineering, Business, and Nursing can find out more information on their college's website.
Submit Your Honors Thesis/Project
The format of your honors thesis/project will depend on your major; some will write a traditional thesis while others may submit artwork, a performance, or other creative work.
- Review our submission policy and contact us with any questions you have.
- Review and complete the Honors Thesis Submission AgreementThesis-Submission-Agreement.pdf
- Prepare an abstract of 400 words or less. You will submit this through the website just before uploading your thesis/project.
- Click the button below to log in to Iowa Research Online and upload your thesis/project.
Note: If you have not submitted to IRO before you will need to create a new account.
Recognizing Honors in the Major at Graduation
Students graduating with Honors in their major will have it announced at commencement and noted on their transcript and diploma. Students walking early (see Early Participation on the Registrar's website) must have completed Honors in the major at the time of commencement participation to receive their cordons. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to walk early.