An honors contract allows students to earn honors credit for a regular class by working directly with their instructor to enrich the learning experience. An honors contract is a great option for classes required for a major or minor, or for upper-level and graduate courses.
Rules for Students
Please note these rules are applicable for University Honors Program members only.
- There needs to be a clear distinction between honors contract work and the work required for the course.
- You cannot contract an online class.
- You cannot contract a class that is graded pass/fail (S/U is allowed).
- You can only count one contracted class towards the University Honors coursework requirement.*
- You cannot contract a class that already offers an honors section unless you have a scheduling conflict.
- Your instructor has the right to decline you request to contact their class for honors credit.
- You must submit an Honors Contract Form to earn honors credit.
- The honors project is graded S/U and does not affect your grade in the class.
- You must earn a B- or better in the class overall in order to earn honors credit for it.
*Transfer and current students who joined the program with significant coursework completed may be granted an exception. Email email@example.com to request one.
How to Submit an Honors Contract Form
Honors contracts are due the last business day of the month following the start of the semester.
- Approach your instructor and ask if they'd be willing to do an honors contract with you.
- Discuss and agree on your project proposal and timeline for completion. Be sure your instructor approves this before you submit!
- Fill out the Honors Contract Form on MyUI (you can find the form under Student Information > Courses & Grades)
The Honors Contract Form will be available on MyUI under Student Information > Courses & Grades. You will also be able to access it at https://apps.its.uiowa.edu/forms/honors.