Honors classes at Iowa allow you to build a strong foundation of knowledge through honors coursework while building relationships with your peers and faculty. Students engage in focused discussion and hands-on activities with excellent faculty and staff. In your honors classes you can expect to learn with your peers, be challenged by your instructor, and have the flexibility to approach the material in new and exciting ways.
- New members must enroll in at least one honors class by their first fall semester in the program.
- Entering first-years typically enroll in an Honors First-Year Seminar (HONR:1300) and/or Honors Primetime.
- Current and transfer students can browse our offerings or look for options offered by their major.
- They may also contract a class for honors credit.
- Up to two contract classes may be counted with special permission; email or meet with the Honors Assessment Manager and Admissions Coordinator.
- A minimum of 12 semester hours are required. These must be completed in your first four semesters in the program.*
*If students are enrolled part-time, each 12sh of coursework earned is equal to one "semester" for honors coursework deadlines.
Please note: Sometimes courses contain the word "honors" in the title but do not count for University Honors. These are courses that may be used towards honors in a specific major. University Honors courses, in contrast, are designated in MyUI as explained below and will typically appear on your grade report with an "H" next to the number of credits. Classes that count as University Honors coursework appear on your University Honors degree audit in the "Building Knowledge" section.
Find Honors Classes
On MyUI, click on "Courses" at the top, then select "Honors Courses" on the right-hand side. Click here to easily navigate to the Honors Courses.The page will list all honors classes available for that given semester.
Regular Honors Offerings
You can explore regular Honors course offerings at the University of Iowa General Catalog.